The Lower Onion Creek Group Sites are located along the banks of the Colorado River. The sites are ideal for small family or group gatherings of 15-30 people (parking is limited and can accomodate only one large RV or truck w/trailer). Lower Onion is also a launch site for river trips. Within close proximity to national parks and open space, outdoor enthusiasts will enjoy hiking, mountain biking, whitewater rafting and four-wheel drive tours in the surrounding area. The town of Moab is approximately 40 minutes away and has dining, shopping, sports rentals, tour companies and museums.
This location is close to hiking, mountain biking and four-wheel driving opportunities and is a launch site for river running on the Colorado River.
Group sites have fire grates, picnic tables, vault toilets and shade shelters. The group sites do not have water, dump stations or electric hook-ups. A boat ramp is in the campground and near the group sites.
The group sites are located along the Colorado River offering spectacular view of the red rock canyons, buttes, mesas and spires against the backdrop of the nearby La Sal Mountains. A dry creek runs along the back of Group Site A (watch for flash-flooding)!
There are many hiking, mountain biking and four-wheel drive trails along Hwy. 128. The Fisher Towers area offers hiking, rock climbing and scenic vistas. Lower Onion Creek is about 40 minutes from Arches National Park and one hour from Canyonlands National Park.
Charges & Cancellations
Please contact the BLM Moab Field Office for assistance with changes and cancellations at 435-259-2100.
Cancelling a Reservation
Customers may cancel their reservation prior to arrival both on-line and through the call center (using the call center incurs an additional fee). You may also contact the BLM Moab Field Office for assistance. A $10 service fee will be withheld from any refund for a cancellation. Depending on when you cancel in relation to your arrival day, it may be considered a late cancellation (see below).
Changing an Existing Reservation: When changes are made prior to the cut-off window
- If a customer wants to switch dates that are entirely outside of the original reservation dates, there is a $10 change fee.
- There is no change fee if a customer extends or shortens a reservation, as long as the change includes dates from the original reservation. If they choose to depart early, they may forfeit the recreation fee for the day of departure.
- There is no change fee if the customer wants to switch sites that are the same price with the same reservation dates in the same facility.
- For reservations made that include dates at the end of the available booking window (also known as the sliding window), you are not able to make changes or cancel your reservation until the site is available to the general public for four days.
Late Cancellations or Cancellations within the Cut-off Window
- Customers who cancel a group overnight facility reservation less than 14 days before the arrival date will pay a $10.00 service fee AND forfeit the first night's use fee.
- Changes or Cancellations within the Cut-off Window: Once a reservation date has begun, customers cannot change a reservation using the online system or through the Call Center, however, the BLM Moab Field Office may be able to assist you.
A no-show customer is one who does not arrive at a campground and does not cancel the reservation by check-out time (Noon) on the day after the scheduled arrival date. Staff will hold a campsite until check-out time (Noon) on the day following the arrival date. No-shows are assessed $20.00 Recreation.gov service fee and forfeit the first night’s recreation fee.
- If a customer departs prior to the scheduled check-out date, they may be eligible for a partial refund.
- Please notify the BLM Moab Field Office if you depart early to allow others to use the site.
- If a customer requests a refund for an early departure after the facility check-out time has passed, the customer will not be refunded for that night and is eligible for a refund on any additional nights that will not be used.
Interagency Pass Discounts
Pass discounts only apply to individual campsites. Interagency Pass discounts do not apply to group reservations.
- Customers may submit a refund request through their Recreation.gov profile within 7 days of the end date of their reservation.
- Fees: Applicable fees, such as the Recreation.gov reservation fees, service/cancellation fees, lottery application fees, and change fees, are non-refundable.
- Debit or Credit Card Purchases: Refunds for debit or credit card payments made after October 1, 2018 will be issued as a credit to the original bank or credit card used to pay. In the event that a customer has cancelled this card, they will need to contact their card company to have the funds released. We cannot issue refunds to any card other than the one used to pay. If a customer paid with a debit or credit card prior to October 1, 2018 their refund will be issued in the form of a Treasury check.
- Emergency Closures: In the event of an emergency closure, the Recreation.gov team or facility manager will refund all fees and will attempt to notify you using the contact information within your Recreation.gov customer profile.