Altamont Campground is located in the Wasatch Mountains along the Alpine Loop Scenic Byway. It is a popular spot for hiking and bird watching, as well as horseback riding along the Timpooneke Trail to the summit of Mount Timpanogos. The campground includes a picnic shelter, flush toilets, drinking water, picnic tables, and a campfire circle. Visitors can also enjoy nearby attractions such as Timpanogos Cave National Monument, Cascade Springs, and Tibble Fork and Silver Flat Reservoirs.
Altamont Campground is located along the beautiful Alpine Loop Scenic Byway high in the Wasatch Mountains. The Mount Timpanogos Wilderness Area is adjacent. Visitors enjoy hiking the nearby Timpooneke Trail to the summit of Mount Timpanogos.
Hiking is very popular in the area. The 15-mile round-trip Timpooneke Trail begins across the road at the Timpooneke Campground and climbs to the summit of rugged Mount Timpanogos. Aspen Grove Trail is nearby, leading to the summit as well. Horses are allowed on Timpooneke Trail.
The rough, dirt Timpooneke Road also begins across the road, nearly circumnavigates Mount Timpanogos and offers excellent mountain biking and birding opportunities.
The campground sits along the 20-mile paved Alpine Loop Scenic Byway. It passes through alpine canyons, mountain meadows, aspen groves and pine forests, offering breathtaking views of the Wasatch Range.
Altamont offers a large picnic shelter, flush toilets and drinking water. Several picnic tables and a campfire circle are located in the shelter. The short road from the Alpine Loop to the campsite is paved, as is a large parking area.
The campground lies among dense, shady stands of aspen, fir and spruce trees at an elevation of 7,400 feet. Wildlife and summer wildflowers are abundant and autumn leaves put on quite a show.
For facility specific information, please call (385) 273-1100.
Timpanogos Cave National Monument is a few miles down American Fork Canyon, offering a rewarding but steep 1.5-mile hike to a guided tour of the spectacular three-room cave system.
Cascade Springs is just 9 miles from the campground. Family-friendly, accessible boardwalks loop around the natural springs.
Nearby Tibble Fork and Silver Flat Reservoirs offer canoeing, kayaking and fishing for rainbow, brook and brown trout. A portion of the north shore at Tibble Fork is accessible. Both reservoirs are open only to non-motorized watercraft. Scuba divers frequent Tibble Fork's south shore.
Charges & Cancellations
Change and Cancellation Policies and Fees
- Overnight and Day Use Facilities: To ensure fairness, reservation arrival or departure dates may not be changed beyond the booking window until 18 days after booking the reservation.
- Camping / Day Use: A $10.00 service fee will apply if you change or cancel your reservation (including campsites, cabins, lookouts, group facilities, etc.). The $10.00 service fee will be deducted from the refund amount.
- You can cancel or change reservations through Recreation.gov or by calling 1-877-444-6777.
- Overnight and Day Use Facilities: Late cancellations are those cancelled between 12:01 a.m. (Eastern) on the day before arrival and check out time on the day after arrival.
- Individual Campsites: If a customer cancels a reservation the day before or on the day of arrival they will be charged a $10.00 service fee and will also forfeit the first night's use fee (not to exceed the total paid for the original reservation). Cancellations for a single night's reservation will forfeit the entire use fee but no cancellation fee will apply.
- Cabins / Lookouts: Customers will be charged a $10.00 cancellation fee and forfeit the first night's use fee if a cabin or lookout reservation is cancelled within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date. Cancellations for a single night's use will not be assessed a service fee.
- Group Facility: If a customer cancels a group overnight facility reservation within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date they will be charged the $10.00 service fee and forfeit the first night's use fee. Cancellations for a single night's use will not be assessed a service fee.
- Group Day Use Area: If a customer cancels a group day use facility reservation within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date, they will forfeit the total day use fee with no service fee charge.
- Camping / Day Use: A camping no-show customer is one who does not arrive at a campground and does not cancel the reservation by check-out time on the day after the scheduled arrival date. Reserved campsites and group overnight facilities will be held until check-out time on the day following your scheduled arrival. Group day-use facilities will be held until check-in time on your scheduled arrival date.
- If a customer does not arrive at the campground or group facility by check-out time the day after arrival or does not cancel the reservation by the times listed under "Late Cancellations" above, the customer may be assessed a $20.00 service fee and forfeit use fees.
- Customers must request refunds no later than 14 days after the scheduled departure date. Recreation.gov will not grant refund requests after 14 days of departure.
- Reservation Fee: For some facilities, tours or permits an additional reservation fee is charged. For some overnight and day-use facilities, an additional non-refundable reservation fee may apply. The non-refundable reservation fee for tours and tickets is $1.00. The non-refundable reservation fee for permits varies by location.
- Refunds for Bankcard Purchases: Refunds for bank card payments will be issued as a credit to the original bank card.
- Refunds for Check or Cash Purchases: Refunds for Recreation.gov payments made by check or money order, and cash payments at selected campgrounds will be issued a check refund. A refund will be processed within 30 days of receipt and approval. Please Note: Refund requests made during or after departure can only be processed when approved by the facility management staff based upon local policy.
- Refunds for Emergency Closures: In the event of an emergency closure, the Recreation.gov team will attempt to notify users and offer alternate dates (as appropriate). If this is not possible, reservations will be cancelled and all fees paid will be refunded. Reservation fees for free tickets are non-refundable in the event of an emergency closure.
Recreation.gov Billing Information
- Reservation transaction will appear on customer's credit card statements as "Recreation.gov 877-444-6777."
Changes to Policies and Procedures
- Recreation.gov reserves the right, when necessary, to modify reservation policies. These policies were last updated July 2018.